a a a Display options Cymraeg
Follow Ofcom on Facebook Follow Ofcom on Twitter Subscribe to the Ofcom RSS Follow Ofcom on YouTube Subscribe to the Ofcom Email Updates

Independent regulator and competition authority
for the UK communications industries.

Search Ofcom

A guide to telecoms complaints

These days we spend more time than ever before surfing the web and using our phones.

So it’s not surprising that problems sometimes occur.

But what do you do when something goes wrong – and who do you complain to?

Ofcom has an  advice video which will help you through the complaints process and tell you what you need to do each step of the way.

Formal complaint

For example, initially you need to contact your service provider’s customer services department and explain your problem.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, then you can make a formal complaint to the company.

You should find details of how to do this on the back of your bill.

If you can’t find these details, the company’s customer service staff should tell you how to make a formal complaint.

ADR schemes

If the problem still persists you can go to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

ADR schemes act as an independent middleman between the service provider and the customer when things go wrong.

There are two ADR schemes – Cisas and 


 Ombudsman Services: Communications – and all communication providers must belong to one of these schemes.

You can use the Ofcom ADR checker to see which provider belongs to which scheme.

If the ADR scheme agrees with the consumer’s complaint it can order the communications provider to fix the problem and, if needed, pay compensation.

Subtitled version of the video

We also have a printed guide which sets out the complaints process.

Back to top

Ask us

Advice and complaints

  • Your fixed line, mobile and internet

    Our job is to make sure that phone companies treat you fairly.
    Our advice and monitoring forms

  • TV and Radio Programmes

    Are you concerned about a programme you have seen on television or listened to on the radio?
    Find out how to complain

  • TV and Radio reception problems

    The BBC are responsible for investigating complaints of interference to domestic radio and television.
    Advice and how to report a problem