Telecoms complaints

Man looking at billThese days we’re spending a record amount of time surfing the net and speaking on our mobile and landline phones.

So it’s not surprising that problems sometimes occur – but who do you complain to when something goes wrong?

Ofcom has a consumer complaints guide (pdf) which will help you through the complaints process and tell what you need to do each step of the way.

For example, initially you need to contact your service provider’s customer services department and explain your problem.

Formal complaint

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, then you can make a formal complaint to the company.

You should find details of how to do this on the back of your bill. If you can’t find these details, the company’s customer service staff should tell you how to make a formal complaint.

If the problem still persists then you can go to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

ADR schemes

There are currently two ADR schemes – Ombudsman Services: Communications and CISAS – and they act as an independent middleman between the service provider and the customer when things go wrong.

Our guide – which you can download and print out so you have the facts at your fingertips - tells you at what part in the complaints process you can take your problem to an ADR scheme.