a a a Display options Cymraeg
Follow Ofcom on Facebook Follow Ofcom on Twitter Subscribe to the Ofcom RSS Follow Ofcom on YouTube Subscribe to the Ofcom Email Updates

Independent regulator and competition authority
for the UK communications industries.

Search Ofcom

Customer service

If you experience poor customer service you should tell the company concerned.

All communication providers are required to have a Code of Practice (CoP) outlining, amongst other things, how they will deal with customer complaints.

The CoP is sometimes available on the company’s website, back of a bill or directly from customer services.

If you follow their complaints procedure, the chances are any problems will be resolved.

Tell Ofcom

Although it is not Ofcom’s role to handle customer service complaints, we still take a close interest in monitoring consumer experiences.

Click on the button below to fill out our consumer monitoring form.

If this doesn’t work, ask your provider for a deadlock letter.  This enables you to take your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

ADRs act as an independent middleman and will examine the case from both sides and reach a decision they think fair. If eight weeks have passed since you first formally complained you can contact the ADR directly.

There are two ADR schemes – Ombudsman Services: Communications, and the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS). All service providers must belong to one of the schemes.

Your provider will tell you which scheme it is a member of, or you can use our ADR checker.

No Code of Practice

All communication providers must have a Code of Practice on how they deal with customer complaints.

This Code of Practice should be available within two clicks of your provider’s homepage.

However, despite this it can still sometimes prove difficult to locate. Often there will be a link available in the footer at the bottom of the homepage.

If you continue to have difficulty locating the Code of Practice, contact their customer services and ask for a copy.

If you think your provider is not meeting their requirements regarding this Code of Practice, please tell us by clicking the button below and filling out the form.

Back to top

Ask us

Advice and complaints

  • Your fixed line, mobile and internet

    Our job is to make sure that phone companies treat you fairly.
    Our advice and monitoring forms

  • TV and Radio Programmes

    Are you concerned about a programme you have seen on television or listened to on the radio?
    Find out how to complain

  • TV and Radio reception problems

    The BBC are responsible for investigating complaints of interference to domestic radio and television.
    Advice and how to report a problem